I’m getting there… to bake the delicate macarons. It has been a bumpy road with every conceivable sources of failure. But… I’m getting there. It’s not perfect yet. There are still cracks in some batches, and it’s slightly too sweet. I’m getting there…
Basic Macaron Shells
4 ounces (115g) almond flour
8 ounces (230g) powdered sugar
5 ounces egg whites (144g)
2 1/2 ounce (72g) sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- Sift together almond flour and icing sugar
- Put egg whites, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Beat egg white mixture on high till stiff.
- Add in almond flour/sugar mix. Fold the mixture into egg white.
- Pipe the mixture on to baking sheet
- Bake for around 18 mins depending on your oven.
The shells can be filled with a variety of filling, from chocolate, lemon curd, to different flavours of buttercream. Here I filled it with a simple chocolate ganache.